WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
If the information we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, the information will be considered personal information.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOLD?
Eye Specialists collects personal information for the purpose of its delivery of services to you and the operation and administration of the Practice. This information typically includes:
- contact information: name, address, phone, email addresses, DOB, next of kin and healthcare identifiers
- details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries
- billing and administrative: Medicare number, Health insurance details
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our website or indirectly through the use of our website or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise
- information you provide to us through patient feedback or visits by our representative
- medical: Medical history, diagnostic test results, visit notes
HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Eye Specialists collects your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. Eye Specialists collects personal information that you provide:
- over the phone, in correspondence, in person, via our website and related social media
- during conversations and/or any written communications between you and our staff
In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
- your guardian or responsible person/carer
- other involved healthcare providers: specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services
- your health fund, Medicare, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA)
We may also collect personal information from third parties such as credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities.
Our cookies do not collect personal information. The majority of web browsers automatically accept cookies. If you do not wish to receive cookies, you can adjust your browser to disable cookies but this may restrict your ability to access certain areas of our websites.
We may log IP addresses (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the websites, track users’ movements, and gather broad demographic information.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
FOR WHAT PURPOSES DO WE COLLECT, HOLD, USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Eye Specialists collects personal information about you for the purpose of its provision of products and services to you and the operation and administration of the organisation. We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purpose:
- patient care
- sending communications
- answering enquiries and providing information or advice about our business, existing and new products and services
- assessing the performance of our websites and improving the operation of those websites
- tailoring and personalising website content and deals offered by us and/or our commercial associates, partners and sponsors, depending on your location and interests
- conducting business processing functions including providing personal information to our contractors, service providers or other third parties
- administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development
- updating our records and keeping your contact details up to date
- providing your updated personal information to our contractors or service providers
- processing and responding to any complaint made by you
- complying with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of any country
TO WHOM MAY EYE SPECIALISTS DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION?
We sometimes share your personal information, as outlined above and for related purposes:
- with third parties who work with our practice for business purposes, such as accreditation agencies or information technology providers
- when it is required or authorised by law (court subpoenas)
- when it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the patient’s consent
- to assist in locating a missing person
- to establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim
- for the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
- when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (eg some diseases require mandatory notification)
- during the course of providing medical services
- to our employees, contractors, or service providers located in Australia and overseas including without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants, for the purposes of providing services in connection with the operation of our website or our business, fulfilling your requests or enquiries, and to otherwise provide products and services to you
- to suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing and related purposes
- where you have consented
- as required or authorised by law including to law enforcement, government or other organisations or where permitted under the Privacy Act
Eye Specialists may send you direct marketing communications and information about our services. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail or email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. At any time, you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us using the contact details below or by using the opt-out functions provided in the marketing communications. We will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
Eye Specialists do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
HOW DO WE STORE AND PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Your personal information may be stored at our Practice in various forms. Most health records are stored in electronic form through a highly secure cloud database. Some are stored in hard copy at our secure locations or offsite secure archive.
Eye Specialists takes reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed.
As our websites are linked to the Internet, and the Internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS AND CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AT OUR PRACTICE?
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information.
Our Practice acknowledges patients may request access to their medical records. We require you to put this request in writing and our practice will respond within a reasonable time (up to 30 days). Some requests for medical information (we will inform you directly) will attract a fee which is payable prior to release.
Our Practice will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate or up to date. From time to time, we will ask you to verify that your personal information held by our practice is correct and current. You may also request that we correct or update your information, and you should make such requests in writing on the details below (under ‘Contacting Us’)
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR DATA?
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
WHAT RIGHTS YOU HAVE OVER YOUR DATA?
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
HOW CAN YOU LODGE A PRIVACY-RELATED COMPLAINT, AND HOW WILL THE COMPLAINT BE HANDLED AT OUR PRACTICE?
We take complaints and concerns regarding privacy seriously. You should express any privacy concerns you may have in writing.
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us via the details below with a full description of the issue. Eye Specialists manage all requests or complaints confidentially. A representative of Eye Specialists will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved.
You may also contact the OAIC. Generally, the OAIC will require you to give them time to respond before they will investigate. For further information visit www.oaic.gov.au or call the OAIC on 1300 363 992.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Our website may contain links to other websites. Eye Specialists makes no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third-party websites and are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third-party websites.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage.
Our website may also utilise other third party analytics software to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage.
CAPTURING INFORMATION FOR REMARKETING & OTHER ONLINE ADVERTISING
Eye Specialists captures information about it’s website visitors for remarketing & capturing information about similar audiences to advertise online.
Third-party vendors, including Google and others, may show ads for Eye Specialists on various sites across the Internet
Your eyespecialistsgroup.com.au website user data may also be used by Eye Specialists for advertising campaigns on other platforms such as Facebook & Instagram from time to time. For additional up-to-date detailed information on Facebook’s data policy, see here: https://www.facebook.com/policy.php
Eye Specialists Kotara
29 Northcott Drive Kotara NSW 2289
Eye Specialists Nelson Bay
91 Stockton Street Nelson Bay 2315
Ph: (02) 4940 8255
Policy review statement